Natural Gas Safety
For safety with natural gas, remember to:
- Practice safety first. Call Humboldt Utilities at 784-9212 for a free inspection of your pilot, furnace, water heater or other gas appliances.Replace filters regularly in your furnace so clean air can circulate throughout your home.
- Enjoy the benefits of gas all year by using one of the most dependable fuels regardless of the weather.
- Periodically check the battery in your carbon monoxide detector. We have trained service technicians who will check for leaks.
- Always keep gas appliances, vents and chimneys clear of debris and other blockages.
- Remember, the flame in gas appliances (except gas logs) generally should be blue, with flecks of orange. If it's mostly yellow, call Humboldt Utilities.
- Energy efficiency starts with proper care of your gas appliances. Early attention prevents inconveniences during heavy usage periods.
- Dig Safely. Be aware of gas service line locations, especially when working in your yard or making improvements to your home. Remember it is the law in the state of Tennessee that you must call Tennessee One Call at least three days before doing any digging. This includes planting trees and shrubs or even putting up a mailbox post. Your property will be checked to locate any underground utilities to make sure your digging will not affect the lines. Tennessee One Call's toll-free phone number is 811.